Botanical Garden of the Piedmont Executive Director Position
The future Botanical Garden of the Piedmont (the Garden) is an 8.5-acre site located in Charlottesville’s McIntire Park East. The Garden is being developed by a Board of Directors working in partnership with the Charlottesville Department of Parks and Recreation. the Garden will be a place of healing and restoration through engagement with the natural world, a resource for education and entertainment, and a community destination for all ages.
The Board and Executive Director (ED) will collaboratively continue the work of making the Garden a reality. In Fall 2018, an award-winning team of landscape architects completed the Garden’s schematic design; current efforts are to fund phases of design development and construction documents. After completion of a feasibility study, a capital campaign is planned for 2020. Numerous events and activities at the Garden site occur throughout the year.
The newly created ED position will be responsible to the Executive Committee, and will report to the Board President. The ED will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for the Garden’s development, expansion and programs, while adhering to its mission. This position will require a knowledge of the community, garden programs and horticulture, operations, fundraising and marketing/public relations. The successful ED candidate must be action-oriented, entrepreneurial, and adaptable. Most of all, the ED must be passionate about the Vision and Mission of Botanical Garden of the Piedmont and convey its purpose and potential as a fundamental function of the role.
Leadership & Management:
- Actively engage and energize Botanical Garden of the Piedmont board members, volunteers, partnering organizations, the community and funders.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors; serve as ex-officio of each committee; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for ongoing operations.
- Develop and manage annual and long-range budget and financial plan.
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance/administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Model a culture of transparency and open communication throughout the organization ensuring an ethical environment.
- Recruit and manage both paid and volunteer staff when positions are approved by the Board of Directors.
- Ensure commitment to and compliance with all applicable laws and regulations across the organization.
Fundraising & Communications:
- With the Board, develop a multi-year strategic development plan that will raise the funds to design and build the Garden and support its operations and maintenance.
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications with the goal of building support and participation.
- Maintain a highly visible presence that communicates effectively the mission of the Garden to diverse audiences locally.
- Develop and implement strategic plans that meet goals and objectives created in partnership with the Board of Directors
- Build partnerships and establish relationships with City of Charlottesville officials, political and community leaders, and funders.
- Address proactively challenges in the internal and external environment to protect the Garden’s interests
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s degree preferred in non-profit management, marketing, communications, education or related field. Knowledge of horticulture and public gardens is a plus.
- Four or more years of successful senior non-profit leadership
- Longstanding familiarity with the greater Charlottesville Area highly valued
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, marketing and public relations
- Ability to engage and energize a wide range of stakeholders
- Experience successfully creating and managing a budget
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement successful strategic plans
Resume and cover letter should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org or Botanical Garden of the Piedmont, P.O. Box 6224, Charlottesville, VA 22906
References and criminal background checks required
Deadline May 31, review of applications begins immediately | Closing date for applications: May 24, 2019
For information: 434.962.1512